Sunday, November 22, 2009

Laptop Use: 23 November 09

I have not found laptops to be problematic in class. Classroom management is classroom management, which, by its very nature, evolves with the circumstances. Laptops are another circumstance to which we, students and teachers, adjust.

Things that work for me...
1. Give time to play and explore when introducing a new tool.

2. Talk about expectations.
I try to be clear with my classes about what I want them doing/not doing during work times. This extends to work on computers. If time has expired for personalizing a blog, for example, I let my students know that they can continue on their own time. I also know that at some point, someone will use their laptop in a way that I don't want, so I explain in advance that there will be consequences for doing so.

3. I ask students to close the laptops during discussions.
I know from my own experience that it is very difficult to engage in a discussion with the temptations offered by the laptops. Often I will ask them to find what they need to participate fully in the discussion and then close the cover.

We often alternate between discussion, research, reading, writing etc. During discussion my goal is for students to focus on what other people are saying; minimizing distractions is essential. The key difference between discussion and answering a question is listening to what others say. This is the only thing that creates an opportunity for participants to build upon what others say. Part of teaching is moving students out of the paradigm of simply asking questions and getting a teacher response. It is not an easy transition because of years of practice simply answering questions.

Online discussions (using any of the tools at our disposal) is very different and really has no place in class. There is too much simultaneous input for students to 'listen' to each other and maintain the momentum of discussion. This is an excellent format for continuing discussion outside of class or for fostering discussion in students involved in distance learning.

4. It's impossible to answer every question. A teacher can quickly be run ragged trying to respond to different students' questions about HOW to do something in class. I usually insist that students ask people at their table first before asking me. This reduces the questions I am asked to the more essential ones. Also, to be brutally honest, there are certain questions that, after a few requests, I refuse to answer. I will direct students attention to the board, my blog, an online resource or to a peer if I have told the class as a whole several times. I find that for some, this is the only way to encourage technological independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment