Friday, January 30, 2009

Hoping to...

ISB is the first school in which I have had regular access to all the new collaborative tools of our wonderful modern age. Being a Spanish teacher, I have made them a regular part of my classroom teaching because I believe that they afford students unique opportunities to use language in multiple contexts.

Being the only fluent Spanish speaker in the room, I am always searching for new ways to foster Spanish communication between students. I seek to break down the triangle dynamic in which a student only uses Spanish with me. Through blogs, video (embedded in a blog), wikis, ning etc. I have found that students use target language more AND deepen their understanding of language structures.

All that said, many of the potential applications of these tools are not applicable to my students because of their language level. They cannot read/research using most sites in Spanish and spontaneous communication in Spanish is somewhat difficult. Next year, however, I will be teaching humanities and am THRILLED THRILLED THRILLED at the prospect/possibilities of collaboration, research etc. I hope that this course deepens my understanding of those possibilities and connects me to additional collaborative partners.

No comments:

Post a Comment